or
Forgot your password?
Request a new one!
Support
Like on FacebookLike on Facebook
Vote for AVATAR at TopMudSites!
Vote for AVATAR on TMC!
Follow us on Twitter
Donate to AVATAR using PayPal - Thank you!
Polls
What is your favorite anniversary event?
- view results -
Newbie Tip
Angels are there to help guide new players. Type 'WHO ANGEL' to bring up a current list of online Angels. - Catt
Users Online
Guests Online: 4
No Members Online

Member Count: 528
Newest: Troyu
View Thread
Author Angels and Avatar
Jorel

Posted on May 30 2012 01:39
Another thread got me to thinking about this. We obviously can't teach everyone everything when they go through mudschool. SO! What I'd like to do is start a list of things that newbies might not need to know from the start but will eventually be handy information to have as they progress. If you know of an obscure or not so obscure helpfile that you have found and wished you'd found earlier in your career, I would like to know about it. If you know of a tool, staff, weapon, that might have a unique use that could help a person out, I'd like to know about it. Things like this are what I'm after.

I'm looking forward to some of the unique ideas you all have. I hope we get several.

Help the angels help the newbies!

Thanks in advance,

Jorel
Author RE: Angels and Avatar
Riviat

Posted on May 30 2012 08:40
Thanks for posting this

I wish I'd found out sooner that the General Store in Midgaard would buy a lot of item types that the other shopkeepers wouldn't. I donated or sacrificed surplus items when I could have sold them.

I also wish I was aware of HELP HELPCARD sooner.

Mimir
Administrator

Posted on May 31 2012 15:02
HELP LOCALECHO is a great one to point out to new players using telnet.
laazarus

Posted on May 31 2012 15:17
help infoset was a handy thing when i first found it. i was wondering how people saw who died, who leveled, etc.

also maybe a primer on bots for new lowbies. if they're truly new they won't realize they can bounce to sanc for heals, a spell up, etc., which makes a pretty big difference at low mort.

as well perhaps something to make them aware of quests and insignias they might go right by otherwise, then be bummed later. i don't know if we can refer them to the wiki, but some tip or something that there are quests around that give insignias with bonuses they might not want to miss or some such.
Edited by laazarus on May 31 2012 15:19
Elec

Posted on Jun 03 2012 11:10
Just a couple of suggestions off the top of my headl:

I would also second Laazarus's coment about bots. I've found a few newbies who have heard of bots but don't know how to use them. Perhaps the helpfile can be updated to say that using PLAYERINFO or telling a bot HELP can be useful.

HELP RECALL SET, HELP SPEEDWALK and HELP DEATH are very useful for newbies.
Jorel

Posted on Jun 03 2012 15:23
Thanks all for the replies so far. I like help helpcard. Mimir pointed out help localecho to me while I was googling for it for a new player. As far as bots, I do try to mention those to newbies as well as help sanctum.

I do appreciate the comments. Keep them coming. They help me and the other angels help newbies better and anyone else who might be reading the thread.

-Jorel

Jorel
WinterRose

Posted on Jun 03 2012 16:47
Morgue is relevant and should be referenced, either in mudschool or more appropriately, in one of the levelup messages that appear on low levels (Snikt tells you "...".

Although DC quests are referenced on lvl 10 levelup message, their significance is downplayed at that moment. With my first alt I was aware of "some dc quest somewhere there in some distant midgaard, pfft", and have consequently missed on all of them. Even getting to the said midgaard was a mystery until the lvl 15 recall update took me there by force. a lvl 11 or 12 update should tell the player directly - "unless you are a firedrake or an imp, you should check out the DC quests. To get to Midgaard follow the road east..."

While worship is again explained briefly as "existing", it's significance should be stressed more. the player should in fact be encouraged to ask the fellow players to help him choose a deity. Again, on my first alt i was like "worship? pfft, who cares, i kill fast enough as is..".

Operating large shopping lists also confused me greatly. Either the helps were too complex or there was not enough examples (we NEED more examples), but i had no clue one could buy 3.legging, and often spent large amounts of my meager gold trying to get to an item buy buying all of the leggings before it.

There is no mention of the wiki at all. It is entirely unofficial, yes, but so are the bots. Bots and wiki are a tremendous help to both new and experienced players and should be mentioned in appropriate place. A level 5 levelup message should say "Have you visited sanctum so far? Type sanctum...", lvl 20 message should have "Are you lost? Why not check the wiki for maps and gear suggestions...".

New players often come in odd times and there is noone to group with them. Pets should be introduced earlier. A large pet can help level up - especially later. They do steal some xp but if the player is new - speed in heroing is really not his issue.

There should be a help file, similar to leveling gear or starting gear, that would list interesting (insignia) quests, up to say lvl 20. By this I mean the wayside, then carnival, orphanage, nyad, and maybe ending at solace patrol at lvl 13. These quests demonstrate that we in fact have complex and interactive quests that do not simply boil down to "give ticket mob", as most of old lowmort quests do. such interaction may cause those new players that came from less interactive MUDs to stick around.

Healing pots were a mystery to me on my first alt. I grouped with someone who filled me with fiery reds and i tanked him - somewhere in our 30s (before i had a clue sanctum or bots existed, btw - no help files stressed this), and before that i didn't know how to heal quickly other than sleeping in a random spot. Tsk. We need clear messages - to regen health quickly sleep in infirmaries: Stonehall upper floor, sanctum infirmary etc. Otherwise there are healing pots..."

This is just off the top of my head.

Cheers.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."
Jump to Forum:

34960757 Unique Visits