or
Forgot your password?
Request a new one!
Support
Like on FacebookLike on Facebook
Vote for AVATAR at TopMudSites!
Vote for AVATAR on TMC!
Follow us on Twitter
Donate to AVATAR using PayPal - Thank you!
Polls
What is your favorite anniversary event?
- view results -
Newbie Tip
Some doors and chests are locked; look around the area and you just might find a key. - Calidon
Users Online
Guests Online: 2
No Members Online

Member Count: 528
Newest: Troyu
View Thread
Author Prompt Symbols - Expansion
Pulse
Administrator

Posted on May 03 2009 16:47
We are considering adding some more prompt symbols on top of the current ones which appear automatically in front of your prompt when affected by spells and skills:

sanctuary or iron monk spell..................$
werrebocler...................................&
demonfire spell.............................<D>
stance active...............................[S]
invis or mask spell...........................!
hide, chameleon power, or move hidden skill...@
sneak or shadow form skill....................#

At this point the thoughts are to add the following:
frenzy, berserk, alert in the form of additional letters in the square brackets, e.g. if affected by stance, frenzy and alert you would see [AFS].

What other flags would you like to see, or do you have any other comments?
Author RE: Prompt Symbols - Expansion
Durloff

Posted on May 03 2009 18:43
Some of the ideas maybe worth considering:
Note: a lot are "bad" spells that affected players.

Unrest/sleep/blackjack. Only if done so via spell/skill of coarse.

Salvation- (to indicate it's started on you) An "aura" other than "in the middle of something" might be a plausible idea to help in determining what is going on. For instance if you just logged on. Any aura pertaining to a particular ritual might be helpful.

Rescue mods. Kind of off the beaten path but would be nice to know when they're on and when they fall. The leadership skill spearhead does this to a degree.

Shun/Solitude might be nice. The messages is often lost in battle.

I'd say alertness, but it would sort of defy the point, since you should be "alert" to alertness.

SCRAMBLE. Nuff' said.

Augment/Surge would be a wonderful addition.

Thats all I can think of. *tip*

Dur

Hephaistos

Posted on May 03 2009 20:10
It's great that new symbols are being added. I'd like it to be configurable wich symbols you want to see.
Slowdraw

Posted on May 03 2009 20:39
The only thing I can think of to add to the list is an indicator that you're prone from a failed bash.

One thing that concerns me is that list of symbols might be a bit long, and that some people wouldn't care about some affects. So if you add many more symbols, I'd suggest you also add the ability to toggle whether they are displayed.
Wiseman

Posted on May 03 2009 21:09
Maybe just have a brief and extended version of prompt symbols, in much the same way that we can choose to view room descriptions in a brief or full layout.

Also, extra symbols could be 'unlocked' in much the same way as scoresheet info appears based on the character level, to avoid confusing newer players. Most newbies wont have to worry what werrebocler is of course...

I think it's worth noting that you can already put your surge, augment and quicken level in your prompt, so adding extra symbols for those might be redundant.

I'd like to see a prompt symbol of % to indicate when you've been stunned with tail lag or something similar - I remember a lot of times I used to get frustrated when I couldn't understand why my commands weren't going through - I was actually in tail stun.

Wiseman
-----------
English does not borrow from other languages. English follows other languages into dark alleys, raps them over the head with a cudgel, then goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary and spare grammar.
-Mama_Willowe
1625704 wyvaud@gmail.com http://users.tpg.com.au/wyvaud/avatar_races/races.html
SerpWAR

Posted on May 04 2009 04:01
There is a way to add lag to your prompt as well via existing symbols "%s" will show you the lag your currently in. Lets you know how long you will be in lag for when you do ANYTHING. Kill has a lag of 1, tail lags for 10 as I recall same amount of lag you get by typeing "lag". Very usefull for knowing when your out of missed toss/bash/trip, spellup, shift, ect... lag as you can see it there on your prompt for me the last item in my prompt. Also great to see the diference in class vs out of class lag on spells and skills as well. Surge/Augment/Quicken as you already said can be put in you prompt in a similar fasion as well as a host of other things.

SerpWAR et army of alts
Morague

Posted on May 04 2009 20:32
I would love to see something to indicate a person is in sharpen lag.
Muskoka

Posted on May 04 2009 23:28
my additions for possible symbols:

scramble - ~ (bright purple)
migraine - % (bright purple)
frenzy - ^ (bright red)
berserk - * (bright red)

as to the inclusion of extra letters in the stance field... I think it would be better to remain as just for stance. however, it would be nice if instead of always displaying [ S ], the "S" was a variable representative of what stance you were in.

so, playing a shf I go into vampire fang stance and it would display [ VF ], tiger stance would be [ T ], etc. etc. the reason I suggest this is it would be easier for players to adapt to since I'm sure a lot of us are pretty accustomed to the bright blue [ ] box being representative of stance.
http://www.oceanstarmedia.ca
Pulse
Administrator

Posted on May 05 2009 20:28
Thanks so far, below some comments. Feel free to respond or continue with suggestions. Cheerio.

Slowdraw wrote:
The only thing I can think of to add to the list is an indicator that you're prone from a failed bash..

This would probably work better as a new prompt entry, i.e. position (stand, sleep, down, drowning etc)

Morague wrote:
I would love to see something to indicate a person is in sharpen lag.

Durloff wrote:
Salvation- (to indicate it's started on you) An "aura" other than "in the middle of something" might be a plausible idea to help in determining what is going on. For instance if you just logged on. Any aura pertaining to a particular ritual might be helpful.

Prompt symbols refer to yourself, someone else will not see them. For my part I have just created an alias for sharpening that changes my title to indicate that I am in sharpen lag - and back after.

It is possible to add some indicator to room looking for sharpen/ritual - but that is a different question.

re: migraine, rescue mod - no way
re: stunned, tail, bash, blackjack - can't really differentiate these things out from other forms of lag that well. See position above for the alternative I can see. And combined with the %s option it achieves somehing similar - I guess.

re more stance detail: need to consider. This would requrie some behind the scenes amendments, but could then also benefit other classes (bld dances, pal to come, etc)

re colour suggestions.... ugh. No, not bright red or anything like that. It would have to be changed too quickly again.
Morague

Posted on May 07 2009 21:36
Hi Pulse,

Thanks - that is a good idea I will implement it for when I sharpen. i wasn't thinking when I made the suggestion but obviously, only I can see my prompts & I certainly know when i am sharpening Thanks again for seeking our imput.

I like Muskoka's idea regarding stances. It would be nice to know which one is active, not just that you are in stance.
Ssshtiski

Posted on May 09 2009 10:42
Just a quick imput for implementation.

If there is going to be some sort of toggle, how about just adding to the list of existing prompt items, these doesnt affect the statics today, but it might be possible to alter that.

Some dumb examples just to illustrate my point (some of the letters might be taken already)

help prompt

%a - Prompt: show extended prompt symbols (stances ...)
%b - Prompt : show ritual/lag information in prompt

prompt %a%b ....regular prompt entry follows

I have no idea if this is feasable from a implementation standpoint, but if it is it might also allow for people to set colors for the stance groups if they really want to?

Not sure I really want a toggle myself, but if there turns out to be a LOT of symbols before you are done perhaps it will be for the best.

Piper

Posted on May 10 2009 16:40
My lord mages would be interested in knowing when the exhaust on time skip was gone and/or how long remains on the exhaust. My hero dragon might be interested in this for racial breath as well, but it's easier to check affects in hero spam than lord spam.
leokumquat 19308062 soysauceandgarlic@yahoo.com soysauceandgarlic@yahoo.com
SerpWAR

Posted on May 12 2009 07:16
To check racial exaust just type "racial" it will show on there that way or just wait for the no longer exausted message to show that is already there. As far as when a spell is no longer exausted there is a message for that that is already displayed to the player last I checked as I have a trigger set to echo it in zmud so I don't miss it same it shown when a racial is no longer exausted. I hope that helps some.

As for stances that would wonderfull if it told us what stance we were in and not just that we were in a stance.

SerpWAR et army of alts
FireQuartz

Posted on May 26 2009 03:51
Huge agreement here on the [STANCE-TYPE], whether its for shf/mon/bod or bld/pal...all could use it. Also, suggest going from blue to cyan so its easier to read the [S] if you are going to add a character indicating the stance type.

Would love a way to track shield's current # of charges, but that would be difficult to code and related to prompt anyway...something like %q to show currently equipped shield's total charges...every class could use that. Doubt that'll happen though.

While we are dreaming, how bout a big banner that flashes anytime your Oni is going to proc next cast? or when surge is going to fail!
Jump to Forum:

34945556 Unique Visits